IntroductionMount Urchin offers an easily accessible wilderness of beautiful beech forest, incredible views and a real alpine environment.
The track climbs steadily up through beech forest and above the bush line to the Urchin Trig (1391 m). The upper section of the track has an interesting array of alpine plants and a wide vista of Lake Taupō and the volcanoes of the Tongariro National Park.
- Turn off SH1 onto Kaimanawa Road 17 km south of Tūrangi.
- Travel 3.5 km to the junction.
- Turn right onto the Urchin Campsite road.
- Follow this road past the Pillar of Hercules and Urchin Campsite. We recommend using high ground clearance or 4WD vehicles on this road.
- Continue on up to the end of the road where you will see the Urchin Track entrance.
Mountain biking is not allowed.