Day Hikes gear list
IntroductionIt's easy to get ready for a Day Hike. Make sure you dress and pack for the weather, terrain, and the time you will be out. This list is only for walks under 8 hours.
These are recommendations only for walks under 8 hours – what you need to bring will depend on how long you are walking for, the weather conditions, and the terrain.
- Day pack with waterproof liner
- Drink bottle – 1 to 2 litre
- Packed lunch and snacks – pack more than you think you'll need
- Fully charged mobile phone – some areas don't have reception, and you may want to consider other forms of communication.
- Personal medication, eg antihistamines, asthma medication
- Extra base layer and socks
- Rubbish bag
- Map of the area you'll be walking
- Visit the Kiwi way – never miss an opportunity to use a loo and be prepared with a back-up toilet option
- Basic first aid kit including hand sanitiser, sunscreen and insect repellent
- Head torch/torch and spare batteries in case you take longer than intended
- Survival blanket to keep you warm in an emergency
- Whistle in case your split up or need help
- Extra high energy snack food
Conditions can change so be prepared:
- Hiking boots with good ankle support and grip, or other sturdy footwear
- Sun hat or warm beanie – pack one and wear the other
- Sunglasses – wear or pack
- Base layer: top and leggings in polypropylene/wool, quick dry shorts or pants
- Mid layer: long sleeved top in wool or polar fleece – wear or pack depending on the weather
- Gloves in polypropylene/wool – wear or pack
- Socks in polypropylene or wool
- wind and water-proof jacket with hood – wear or pack depending on the weather
- waterproof overtrousers optional
Tell someone your plans
- Leave your intentions – before you go, tell a trusted friend or family member what you’re doing and where you’re going
Other things you could take
- Swimming gear and towel depending on the walk
Get Outdoors – Planning Essentials video
Learn more about preparing for a day walk in the Mountain Safety Council's Day walks activity guide.