Unless identified as having third party copyright or other licence, the material on this website is Crown Copyright and can be reused under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence (CC BY 4.0).
This means you can copy, distribute and adapt the material as long as you credit the Department of Conservation and abide by the CC BY 4.0 licence terms.
In all cases, the material must be reproduced accurately and not be used in a misleading context.
What you can't reuse
Our reuse terms do not apply to the following:
- Material with third party copyright or other licence – you must get permission from the owner if necessary, and follow the specific licence terms.
- Logos, trademarks, and material covered by the Flags, Emblems, and Names Protection Act 1981.
- Design elements.
How to credit DOC
- Use text (not logos), eg "Source: Department of Conservation".
- If used outside of New Zealand, use "Source: Department of Conservation (NZ)".
- Where relevant, link to our website (www.doc.govt.nz) or the specific source page.
Check the caption that appears with the image. It will tell you if it's a DOC image, has its own Creative Commons licence, or has third party copyright.
Check the caption for credit information – this is a DOC image and can be reused
This has a Creative Commons licence with specific terms
Images labelled with "DOC" can be reused
These images can be reused, even commercially, under the terms of our copyright statement and the CC BY 4.0 licence. You must attribute the Department of Conservation. Include the photographer's name if known.
Images labelled with "Creative Commons" may be reused
You must check the terms set by the Creative Commons licence that appears with the image.
Images labelled with © can't be reused without permission
You must contact the copyright holder directly for permission to use their images.
Click the camera icon to see credit information of a hero image – this image is third party copyright and can't be used without their permission
Note: We don't provide high-resolution copies of images for print or other use.