This application is notified under section 17SC of the Conservation Act 1987. The Minister of Conservation has received an application for a lease/easement concession for a term of 30 years.
Reefton Powerhouse Charitable Trust Inc
Location of proposed activity
Victoria Forest Park, approximately 1 km east of Reefton township adjacent to State Highway 7 adjacent to the Inangahua River.
Between approximate map references NZTM: 1507516.5335710, NZTM: 1507672.5335570
Concession applied for
A lease and easement for construction, use and maintenance of structures as part of the reinstatement of an historic hydro-electric power scheme.
Summary of proposal
The proposed activity is to use 220 metres of the land to construct, use and maintain structures for the purpose of the reinstatement of an historic electric power scheme. The activity includes exclusive use of an historic tunnel to protect public safety. The structures to be constructed are:
- reinstatement/construction of water race structures including timber fluming and a bridge within an historic tunnel
- excavation of slip debris
- construction of rock rip rap river stability works
Access to the site would be across the Inangahua River at Syphon Ford adjacent to State Highway 7.
How to submit
Any person or organisation may make a submission in writing to the Director-General on the proposal. The submission must be made on a submission form – download a copy or get one from the Tauranga District Office.
Department of Conservation
Private Bag 701
Attention: Chari Taylor, Statutory Support Officer
Submissions close on Wednesday 1 August 2018 at 5 pm. Once submitted, submitters' information is subject to the Official Information Act 1982 and may be released under that Act. If you wish to keep any part of your submission confidential, you need to state this in writing when making your submission.
Any person or organisation wishing to be heard in support of his/her submission, must request (within that submission) an opportunity to appear before the Director-General.
DOC comment regarding publicly notified applications
The Minister of Conservation has made no determination regarding the suitability of this proposed concession on public conservation land. This public notification should not be interpreted as an intention on the part of the Minister of Conservation to grant the proposed concession.
If a hearing is required, it is likely to occur on the week starting 6 August 2018.
Date: Tuesday 14 August 2018 (to be confirmed)
Time: 10 am
Venue: Hokitika RSA, Sewell St, Hokitika
When a decision on the application is made it will be posted on this page.
- Concession Application Form 1a (PDF, 2,510K)
- Concession Application Form 3c (PDF, 150K)
- Consent Application Jan 2018 (PDF, 2,568K)
- Attachment 1aD – Testimonials (PDF, 473K)
- Attachment 1aE – Iwi Consultation (PDF, 561K)
- Attachment 3aC – Archaeological Management Plan (PDF, 293K)
- Attachment 3aC – Archaeology Assessment (PDF, 1,882K)
- Attachment 3cA – Design Plans (PDF, 1,154K)
- Attachment 3cA – Geotechnical Assessment (PDF, 4,220K)
- Attachment 3cA – Photos (PDF, 967K)
- Attachment 3cA – Site Plans (PDF, 2,061K)
- Attachment 3cD – Archaeological Authority (PDF, 1,793K)
- Appendix–1 – Land Tenure Site Plan & Certificates of Title (PDF, 2,061K)
- Appendix 2 – Archaeology Assessment (PDF, 1,882K)
- Appendix 3 – Hydrology Assessment (PDF, 2,717K)
- Appendix 4 – Freshwater Ecology Assessment (PDF, 2,329K)
- Appendix 5A – Hydrological & Environmental Effects Assessment (PDF, 694K)
- Appendix 5B – Addendum (PDF, 350K)
- Appendix 6 – Aerial Site Plan (JPG, 635K)
- Appendix 7 – Design Plans (PDF, 7,418K)
- Appendix 8 – Power Pole Location Plan & Pole Design (PDF, 813K)
- Appendix 9 – Geotech Assessment (PDF, 4,220K)
- Appendix 10 – Fish Screen and By–Pass Concept Report (PDF, 2,872K)
- Appendix 11 – Project Feasibility Report (PDF, 910K)
Viewing files on this page
If you can't view these files contact us to request another format. About our files.