Paparoa National Park Management Plan review
IntroductionThe Paparoa National Park Management Plan became operative on 1 February 2017 following a full, formal review.
Paparoa National Park, including the historic sites, plants and animals looked after by DOC, belong to you and DOC manages them on your behalf. The Paparoa National Park Management Plan is how this happens.
This Plan has been developed in a unique way in conjunction with Te Runanga o Ngāi Tahu, Te Runanga o Ngāti Waewae. The metaphor of a great forest has been woven throughout to pay respect to and personify the living ecosystems that comprise Paparoa National Park.
This Plan provides both day-to-day and long-term direction to staff and other agencies in the management of the Park and guidance to the public. It also finalises important memorial plans to respect the tragedies that have occurred in this area.
View the 2017 Paparoa National Park Management Plan.
About the process
The process for reviewing a national park plan is set out in Section 47 of the National Parks Act 1980.
Key dates for the Paparoa National Park Management Plan review were:
- 15 November 2015: Intention to review the Plan publicly notified.
- November – April: Public and stakeholder consultation undertaken.
- 1 June 2016: Draft Plan publicly notified.
- 4 August 2016: Submissions closed.
- 17 – 18 August 2016: Hearing held.
- August – September 2016: Revision of draft Plan based on submissions and hearings held.
- September 2016: The revised draft Plan sent to the West Coast Tai Poutini Conservation Board for its consideration. Submitters sent a copy of DOC’s response to their submissions.
- 4 October 2016: The revised draft Plan, with revisions from the Conservation Board, is presented to the New Zealand Conservation Authority for their approval.
- 1 March 2017: The New Zealand Conservation Authority resolve to approve the revised Paparoa National Park Management Plan with an operative date of 1 February 2017.
- 10 March 2017: The approved Paparoa National Park Management Plan is published.