Download the resource
Download the tāiko/black petrel education resource and supporting material:
This resource will build foundations for:
- young people who are informed about seabirds and the issues they face
- students and communities who are able to think creatively and connect with others to be actively involved in caring for seabirds.
- The ecology of the black petrel and other seabirds
- Life cycle, habitat and breeding information
- Red-billed gulls, little blue penguins, gannets
- How people affect seabirds
- Threats to seabirds
- Protection of seabirds
- Future -focussed thinking
- How to help seabirds in their community
- Native animals
- Marine and coastal
The following values, key competencies and principles are incorporated into the resource:
Values: Ecological sustainability; Respect; Inquiry and curiosity; Innovation; Diversity; Community and participation
Key competencies: Thinking; Using language, symbols and text; Managing self; Relating to others; Participating and contributing
Principles: Learning to learn, Cultural diversity, Community engagement, Future focus
Curriculum learning areas
Achievement objectives from relevant subject areas are listed in the teacher notes of each activity. Specific
learning intentions and success criteria deriving from the AO's are listed in each learning experience.
The following subject areas and strands are included in the resource:
Nature of Science: Understanding about science, Investigating in science, Communicating in science, Participating and contributing
Living world: Life processes, Ecology
Processes and strategies: Listening, Reading and Viewing and Speaking, Writing and Presenting
Technological Practice: Brief development
Minor links to:
Mathematics, Health, The Arts, Education for sustainability/ Environmental education
If you have questions about this resources email conservED@doc.govt.nz.
Viewing files on this page
If you can't view these files contact us to request another format. About our files.