How to book and pay
Check individual hut pages for specific details. The hut page shows if it can be booked online or not.
Most backcountry huts can't be booked in advance - they operate on a first come, first served basis. You pay for your stay with a Backcountry Hut Pass or Hut Tickets, which you must buy before your trip.
Some backcountry huts can be booked. You can't usually pay for these with a Backcountry Hut Passes or Hut Tickets - you pay when you book.
Some Great Walk huts must be booked all year, some can only be booked in the Great Walks season (this varies each year, for each Great Walk). When bookings are required, you can't pay with a Backcountry Hut Pass or Hut Tickets - you pay when you book.
Some club huts require a booking. Backcountry Hut Passes and Hut Tickets generally can't be used. You can usually pay at a DOC visitor centre or directly to the club.
Backcountry Hut Pass
This Pass gives you unlimited use of most Serviced and Standard huts, as well as most campsites outside Serviced huts, for the period you buy the pass for.
If you're planning on making multiple stays within a 6 or 12 month period, a Backcountry Hut Pass will save you money.
Note: Backcountry Hut Passes can't be used at vehicle or boat accessible campsites.
11 - 17 years
5 - 10 years
0 - 4 years
Members of the following organisations are entitled to a 30% discount on the 12 month Backcountry Hut Pass:
- Federated Mountain Clubs
- Mountain Safety Council
- NZ Deerstalkers Association
- NZ Alpine Club
- Council of Outdoor Recreation Associations
- Scouts NZ
- GirlGuiding NZ
- Kiwi Association of Sea Kayakers.
This is in recognition of their positive contributions to conservation and nature-based recreation.
YHA member discounts
Terms and conditions
View the terms and conditions for Backcountry Hut Passes and Hut Tickets.
Backcountry Hut Tickets
If you prefer to 'pay as you go', or will be using backcountry huts infrequently, then buying Hut Tickets is a good option. You put these into the honesty box at the hut.
- Serviced Hut Tickets are used to pay for Serviced huts
- 1 Serviced Hut Ticket per night
- Standard Hut Tickets can be used to pay for Serviced or Standard huts
- 1 Standard Hut Ticket per night for Standard huts
- 3 Standard Hut Tickets per night for Serviced huts.
Adult and youth tickets are available.
Buying Backcountry Hut Passes and Hut Tickets
Backcountry Hut Passes and Hut Tickets can be:
- ordered from by fax, email or post: Backcountry hut pass and tickets order form (PDF, 72K)
- bought from DOC visitor centres
- bought from YHAs and selected i-SITEs
- bought from selected sport and outdoor gear suppliers throughout the country.
Viewing files on this page
If you can't view these files contact us to request another format.