Backcountry Hut Tickets
IntroductionBuying a ticket to pay for a DOC backcountry hut is a good option if you prefer to 'pay as you go', or are only using huts occasionally.
How to buy Backcountry Hut Tickets
You can buy tickets from:
Prices differ for Standard and Serviced huts.
|Backcountry Hut Ticket type||Value||Colour|
|Standard - Adult
|Standard - Youth
11 – 17 years
|Serviced - Adult
|Serviced - Youth
11 – 17 years
|$7.50||You need to use 3 yellow standard youth tickets.|
0 – 11 years
|Backcountry huts are free for children and infants.|
How to use hut tickets
Buy the required hut tickets and take them with you. Put your tickets into the honesty box at the hut.
Note: you can't pay for bookings with hut tickets.
Use Serviced Hut Tickets to pay for Serviced huts. Example: Use 1 x $15 Serviced Hut Ticket per adult per night.
Use Standard Hut Tickets to pay for Serviced or Standard huts. Examples:
- 1 x $5 Standard Hut Ticket per adult per night for Standard huts
- 3 x $5 Standard Hut Tickets per adult per night for Serviced huts
Individually priced huts
Use a combination of the Standard Hut Ticket or Serviced Hut Ticket to make up the required fee. For example:
- For a $20 fee, use 1 x $15 Serviced Hut Ticket and 1 x $5 Standard Hut Ticket (= $20)
- For a $25 fee, use 1 x $15 Serviced Hut Ticket and 2 x $5 Standard Hut Tickets (= $25)
- For a $12.50 fee (youth), use 5 x $2.50 (yellow) Standard hut tickets.
Note: Fees for bookable huts will not necessarily be in $5 steps.