Backcountry Hut Tickets
IntroductionBuying a ticket to pay for a DOC backcountry hut is a good option if you prefer to 'pay as you go', or are only using huts occasionally.
How to buy Backcountry Hut Tickets
You can buy tickets from:
- DOC visitor centres, and
- selected Backcountry Hut Ticket retailers.
Prices differ for Standard and Serviced huts.
|Backcountry Hut Ticket type||Value||Colour|
|Standard - Adult
|Standard - Youth
11 – 17 years
|Serviced - Adult
|Serviced - Youth
11 – 17 years
|$7.50||You need to use 3 yellow standard youth tickets.|
0 – 11 years
|Backcountry huts are free for children and infants.|
More information about facilities and fees for different categories of DOC huts.
How to use hut tickets
Buy the required hut tickets and take them with you. Put your tickets into the honesty box at the hut.
Note: you can't pay for bookings with hut tickets.
Use Serviced Hut Tickets to pay for Serviced huts. Example: Use 1 x $15 Serviced Hut Ticket per adult per night.
Use Standard Hut Tickets to pay for Serviced or Standard huts. Examples:
- 1 x $5 Standard Hut Ticket per adult per night for Standard huts
- 3 x $5 Standard Hut Tickets per adult per night for Serviced huts
Individually priced huts
Use a combination of the Standard Hut Ticket or Serviced Hut Ticket to make up the required fee. For example:
- For a $20 fee, use 1 x $15 Serviced Hut Ticket and 1 x $5 Standard Hut Ticket (= $20)
- For a $25 fee, use 1 x $15 Serviced Hut Ticket and 2 x $5 Standard Hut Tickets (= $25)
- For a $12.50 fee (youth), use 5 x $2.50 (yellow) Standard hut tickets.
Note: Fees for bookable huts will not necessarily be in $5 steps.