Paroa Peninsula has two historically significant pa located on it, Kahuwera and Paroa.
Paroa pa was designed before the arrival of guns, which radically changed pa design. It was occupied during the pre-European period and has a strong association with the nearby significant Kahuwera pa.
The pa has large defensive ditches that cut the pa off from the remainder of the headland and provided protection for the pa’s inhabitants.
On the platform of the pa is a small cemetery placed there in more modern times. It is no longer in use but it is sacred ground to the descendants of those buried there.
Paroa pa was a Ngare Raumati settlement and was probably occupied during French explorer Marion Du Fresne’s visit in 1772.
Paroa Bay was a favoured anchorage for many whaling ships which frequented the bay in the early 1800’s. Prior to the establishment of Kororareka it was still noted for its safe anchorage and sheltered waters.
In 1986 Harata was gazetted as a Historic Reserve under the management of the Bay of Islands Maritime and Historic Park. Today it is under the care of the Department of Conservation.
Visiting Harata Historic Reserve
This is an idyllic pa site in a little-visited bay. You can get nice views from the top.
Paroa pa is located on the Paroa Penninsula between Paroa Bay and Manawaora Bay on the southern arm and faces inland.
Access is by boat only - there is no track.
The Story of the Bay of Islands Maritime and Historic Park. 1989. Department of Conservation.