Located in the Northland region
IntroductionShort walks in the Russell area provide stunning views over the Bay of Islands. There are also opportunities to explore historic Maori sites.
Find things to do and places to stay Russell area
Places to visit in this area:
- Flagstaff Hill Historic Reserve – the site that started the Northern Wars in 1845
- Harata Historic Reserve – pā
- Kahuwera Pa Historic Reserve – pā
- Okiato Historic Reserve – home of New Zealand's first capital from 1840–1841
- Tapeka Point Historic Reserve – pā
- Waitata Point Historic Reserve – coastal battery that operated from 1943–1944
- Te Pēwhairangi (Bay of Islands) Marine Mammal Sanctuary – restrictions apply when around marine mammals or in the safe zones.