Lindemann Loop Track
Located in Kaimai Mamaku Conservation Park in the Bay of Plenty region
IntroductionThere is a popular lookout through this track with scenic views over the northern Bay of Plenty.
This walk starts at the end of Lindemann Road and can be walked in either direction. The track loops around to the Wairoa valley where the last of New Zealand’s kauri dam driving history took place between 1935 and 1941.
After going through a closed gate and kauri hygiene station there is a track junction after 40 m. There are two track choices here:
- to the left is a steep climb up a ridge for about 1 hr to the forest country above
- to the right is a gently climbing Lindemann Pack Track – a pleasant walk with views, streams, fine vegetation and the remains of old kauri dams.
The easiest direction is to take the right hand track that runs up a short spur before levelling out.
After about 3 hr 30 min a junction to the Cashmore Clearing Track takes you to a kauri dam site - the old bed log is all that remains of this site. 25 min further along is a small shelter and campsite area. If you continue you on this track you will reach Waitawheta Hut after 3 hrs from the dams junction.
Return to the junction and follow the track back to the carpark at Lindemann Road. There are excellent views of the Tauranga area and offshore islands from the ridge.
This track is at the end Lindemann Road off SH2, just north of Katikati.
After wet weather some sections of the track may be slippery and good footwear is advisable.
You must be well prepared when tramping on conservation land, especially on longer day walks. Ensure you have strong, comfortable boots, warm clothing, a good raincoat, first aid kit, food and drink, a hat and sunscreen.
Consult a topographic map.
Stay safe in the outdoors
- Take the right gear for your trip: Walking and tramping gear lists.
- Tell a trusted person your plans and when to raise the alarm if you haven’t returned. Send them the information directly, or use the Outdoor Intentions form or Plan My Walk.
- Follow the five essential steps of the Land Safety Code.
253 Chadwick Road West
PO Box 9003
|Full office details|