As the weather heats up DOC is calling out for keen campers to take on volunteer host duties.
In the beautiful Bay of Plenty we have several lovely campsites. People wanting to experience the region’s unique environment, can park up their campervans, caravans and tents and while away the summer hours.
Currently DOC Rotorua is looking for volunteer hosts at Ash Pit Road and Brett Road campsites, on the edge of Lake Rerewhakaaitu.
The main role of a camp host is to help visitors enjoy their stay in the right way. Volunteers must be available for a minimum of 2 weeks at a time.
Your tasks will include:
- Providing general information to visitors
- Checking campsite registrations and taking payment for both campsites
- Advising visitors of regulations (no dogs or horses)
- Maintaining the facilities at both campsites – clean all surfaces with general cleaner in the cooking areas, the picnic areas and clean toilets daily
- Rubbish collection in and around the campsites
- Fit and healthy
- Have a practical outlook and able to work alone
- Mature, sensible, and have a good attitude
- Able to relate to a range of people in a friendly manner
- Culturally sensitive
- Conversant in English
- Money handling skills an advantage
- Knowledge of the Rotorua area and surrounds an advantage
- Compliance with DOC Health and Safety Policy
What will be provided for you
- Free campsite
- DOC camp volunteer identification
- Volunteers will receive a full induction before the start of their camp host stint in the field.
- The induction will be held at either the Ashpit Road or Brett Road campsite.
- It will cover how to carry out the duties assigned to you and a health and safety briefing.
- Fish in the lake to test your fishing skills (make sure you have a fishing licence)
Camp volunteers will need to be self-sufficient, preferably in a motorhome or caravan. You will need to bring your own campervan or transport, caravan or tent.
There is no electricity at these campsites.
If you would like more information please contact DOC Community Supervisor Caraline Abbott email@example.com