In addition, you must abide by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) rules for unmanned aircraft.
If you're planning on using your drone for commercial gain, see commercial drone use.
Why you need a permit
A permit ensures we:
- protect the local wildlife
- respect Māori cultural values by involving hapū and iwi
- let others enjoy the outdoors too
- consider people’s privacy
- prevent accidents and interference by following Civil Aviation Authority rules
- follow relevant policies and plans.
Applying for a concession for the first time can be complicated. To help your application we offer a free pre-application meeting. We’ll also help you contact the local iwi to assess whether your proposed activity will have any cultural effects.
Type of concession
A short term or one-off concession allows you to fly your drone for 3 months or less. To apply for a longer period, talk to your local DOC office.
Apply for your concession
- Fill in the recreational drone use application form (PDF, 323K) or (Word, 122K)
- Fill out and attach the recommended location form as required:
- Marlborough (PDF, 71K) or (Word, 62K)
- West Coast (PDF, 68K) or (Word, 61K)
- Canterbury (PDF, 123K) or (Word, 67K)
- Otago (PDF, 145K) or (Word, 60K)
- As of August 2019, the recreational drone permit allocation limit under the Fiordland National Park Management Plan 2007 has been reached. No further drone permits can be issued within Fiordland National Park until further notice.
- Email the forms along with the relevant attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org
If your application includes areas outside the recommended locations you must include the conservation area you want to access.
- Areas we recommend you apply to use a drone
- National parks we do not recommend you apply to use a drone in.
Your application may be returned if you do not identify the specific location by conservation area name. Use DOC Maps to identify the specific locations name.
Fees and processing time
It costs $65 excluding GST ($74.75 including GST) for each DOC region you apply to use your drone in. Use DOC Maps to identify where DOC region boundaries are.
Your application should be processed within 10 working days of receipt. The timeframe may be longer where iwi consultation is required. If your application is approved we will send you a contract which you must sign and return before proceeding with your activity