Try making this pine cone bird feeder at home
1. Collect the items you’ll need
- Pine cone
- Butter knife
- Smooth peanut butter and lard
2. Make your bird feeder
- Use scissors to cut a long piece of string to hang the bird feeder.
- Take the string and tie a knot around the pine cone near the top (at the stalk end).
- Tie a knot in the other end of the string so you can hang your bird feeder.
- Use the butter knife to get equal parts peanut butter and lard on the plate.
- Use the butter knife to spread the peanut butter and lard mixture inside the pine cone and around the edges.
- Hold the pine cone over the plate and sprinkle birdseed over it.
- Roll the pine cone in any birdseed that has fallen on the plate.
- Pick a place in your backyard that’s safe from predators – at least 3 m off the ground and at the end of a tree branch.
- Hang your bird feeder and wait for the birds.
- Take your bird feeder down at night so rats or mice don’t get to it.
- During springtime you won’t get many birds using the feeder as natural food sources will be readily available again.