Read New Zealand's report on the implementation of the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands.
All Ramsar Convention Contracting Parties are required to complete a National Report.
The 2018 report was submitted in advance of the 13th Meeting of the Conference of the Contracting Parties, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 2018.
There are seven main purposes for the Convention’s National Reports. These are to:
- Provide data and information on how, and to what extent, the Convention is being implemented
- Provide tools for countries for their national planning
- Capture lessons and experience to help Parties plan future action
- Identify emerging issues and implementation challenges faced by Parties that may require further attention from the Conference of the Parties
- Provide a means for Parties to account for their commitments under the Convention
- Provide each Party with a tool to help it assess and monitor its progress in implementing the Convention, and to plan its future priorities; and
- Provide an opportunity for Parties to draw attention to their achievements during the triennium.
There are five sections in the 2018 National Report:
- Section 1 provides the institutional information about the Administrative Authority and National Focal Points for the national implementation of the Convention.
- Section 2 is a ‘free-text’ section in which the Party is invited to provide a summary of various aspects of national implementation progress and recommendations for the future.
- Section 3 provides the 92 implementation indicator questions, grouped under each Convention implementation Goals and Targets in the Strategic Plan 2016-2024, and with an optional ‘free-text’ section under each indicator question in which the Contracting Party may, if it wishes, add further information on national implementation of that activity.
- Section 4 is an optional annex to allow any Contracting Party that has developed national targets to provide information on the targets and actions for the implementation of each of the targets of the Strategic Plan 2016-2024
- Section 5 is an optional annex to allow any Contracting Party that so wishes to provide additional information regarding any or all of its Wetlands of International Importance (Ramsar Sites).