Ross Bell Tower
Image: Joan McCallum | DOC
Located in the West Coast region
The Ross Bell Tower is a historic landmark in the Ross town. The tower has been restored and rebuilt by DOC, and you can hear the bell being rung on special occasions.
The original bell tower was well due for a makeover, its wooden frame had virtually rotted through making it unsafe to support the 150kg bell.
The tower has been a feature of the Ross landscape for many years. The exact date of its erection is unknown, however it is shown in photos dating back to 1909.
DOC staff were assisted by a crane in revamping the old bell tower. The rotten wood was replaced with sturdy new pine and the casing surrounding the bell restored. The bell cover was painted and the tower stained in colours akin to the original.
The tower was reconstructed in 1977 by Lands and Survey with care taken to replicate the original. Today, the brass bell is the only part remaining from the original tower. It was cast in a Glasgow foundry in 1868 and donated to the Ross Township by the Hokitika Fire Brigade in 1874.
Historically, the bell tower was used to signal a fire to the town's people. Ross resident Suzie Breeze remembers the bell being rung on special occasions like New Year's Eve.
Ross is on SH6.