NZTopo50 map sheet: BW18
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1437756, N5225424
The oldest part of the hut was probably built in 1908. It was either refurbished or completely rebuilt in the late 1940s for the first Westland deer culling operation. The concrete floor dates from 1957.
The hut was upgraded by the New Zealand Forest Service in 1983. It is a faithfully preserved link with early deer culling days.
Prices Flat Hut
A slab hut with hand-hewn frame, iron roof and concrete floor.
The hut is situated in a small flat between two deep, forested gorges, 5km from the Great Divide and 13km from a major pass.
The hut has some unusual construction features, particularly the framing.
To be used for recreation purposes on the Whitcombe Pass route. A conservation plan is in progress to guide the management of the hut. It will contain more information regarding its management.