A warm welcome awaits you as you step into the southernmost DOC visitor centre. Our friendly, helpful and experienced staff can help plan your time to ensure you make the most of your time here on Stewart Island/ Rakiura.
Information and services available
- Information on short walks, multi day tramps and Ulva Island / Te Wharawhara - a predator free open bird sanctuary.
- Up to date track conditions and weather reports.
- Hut tickets, Backcountry Annual Hut Passes and Great Walk bookings.
- Topographical maps and brochures about Stewart Island and the lower South Island.
- Hunting information and permits.
- Fishing information and regulations for coastal Stewart Island, Paterson Inlet mataitai reserve and Ulva Island/Te Wharawhara marine reserve.
- Information kiosk
- Informative and entertaining DVDs and a comfy couch to watch them - great for rainy days!
- Quality supplies and souvenirs including clothing, books, camping equipment, post cards and much more.
- Personal Locator Beacons, maps and lockers (for storing gear while on the tracks) can be hired at the Rakiura National Park Visitor Centre (on a first come, first served basis).
Rakiura history explored
- Informative displays explain Stewart Island/Rakiura flora, fauna, and Maori and colonial history
- An interactive recreation of an old ranger’s hut complete with bunks, cooking equipment and old boots - fun for the kids!
The tale of Kewa
Our taunga carving displayed in front of the visitor centre portrays the mythical origin of Stewart Island/Rakiura. Maori legend tells of the great whale Kewa chewing his way through the southern landmass to separate Stewart Island/ Rakiura from the mainland and creating Te Ara a Kewa (the pathway of Kewa), today known as Foveaux Strait.
The Rakiura National Park Visitor Centre is on Main Road, Oban - 2 minutes walk from the flight centre and ferry terminal.
Open every day except Christmas Day
- December – March: 8 am to 5 pm 7 days
- April, May, October and November: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm weekdays and 9 am to 4 pm weekends
- June - September: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm weekdays. 10 am to 2 pm weekends
- Public Holidays: 9 am to 4 pm or as indicated on the front door