Tohumoana Lookout Track
Located in Mimiwhangata Coastal Park in the Northland region
IntroductionThis bush walk at Mimiwhangata offers superb views of Mimiwhangata, the coast and the Poor Knights Islands.
This track takes you to the high point of Tohumoana from which you can return via the ridge or Waikahoa Beach. Panoramic views from the top make this track worth the effort.
The track is sign posted from the saddle of the road that leads over to Mimiwhangata Beach.
The track down from the lookout to Waikahoa Bay is quite steep and passes through manuka and some large pohutukawa before coming out onto the beach.
Mimiwhangata Coastal Park is 48 km from Whangārei and 52 km from Russell. Take the old Whangārei-Russell coastal road, turn-off at Helena Bay and continue on Webb Road. After Teal Bay the road is unsealed, narrow and winding, and unsuitable for towing caravans. Mimiwhangata Coastal Road is after the Ngahau Bay turn-off.
- No dogs as they are a threat to nesting shorebirds, brown teal and kiwi and also disturb the farm animals.
- Portable stoves and liquid fuel is a major concern in dry months. No fires are permitted within the park or on the beach.
- Remove all your rubbish.
- Northland reserve bylaws apply to Mimiwhangata Scenic Reserve.
- Overnight campervan stays are not permitted.
- Camping is only permitted at Waikahoa Bay.
- Follow tracks and use stiles where provided.
- The rest of the farm is open for walking. Avoid disturbing stock and leave gates as you find them.
- Farm hazards exist, including some electric fences.
|Phone:||+64 9 470 3300|
|Fax:||+64 4 471 1117|
2 South End Ave
PO Box 842
|Full office details|