Hauraki Gulf Marine Park area and map
IntroductionFind out what is included and view a map of the Hauraki Gulf Marine Park.
The Hauraki Gulf Marine Park covers the Hauraki Gulf, Waitemata Harbour, Firth of Thames and the east coast of the Coromandel Peninsula.
It consists of public land - reserves and conservation areas administered by DOC, the foreshore, seabed and sea. Local authorities can add their reserves to the marine park while keeping ownership and control. Protected private or Maori land can be included in the park at the owner's request.
Well-known areas of land within the marine park include:
- Te Hauturu-o-Toi/Little Barrier Island
- the Mokohinau Islands/Pokohinu
- more than half of Great Barrier Island/Aotea
- Cuvier Island
- Mansion House on Kawau Island
- North Head Historic Reserve/Maunganuika
- Rangitoto Island
- Motutapu Island
- Mount Moehau on the Coromandel Peninsula
- five marine reserves
- the internationally recognised wetland at the Firth of Thames