A bander can be certified at different levels for different species groups with additional restrictions. For example, you could be:
- Level 3 for parrots
- Level 3 for passerines restricted to robins
- Level 2 for waterfowl
- Level 1 for other species.
All Level 2 and Level 3 banders must meet key competencies as listed in the NZNBBS competencies list. Mist-netting (Level 2 and Level 3), cannon-netting (Level 3 only) and transponder insertion are also part of this certification system and follow the same format and guidelines.
All banders, including Level 1 trainee banders, need to register with the NZNBBS for the species you are, or would like to be, working on. You'll be informed of changes, training opportunities, banding updates, equipment offers, etc, through a newsletter.
- Gamebirds excluding waterfowl. List of gamebirds.
- Herons and allies including egrets, bitterns
- Passerines including cuckoos, kingfishers
- Pigeons and doves
- Raptors and owls
- Seabirds excluding penguins
Capture method endorsements
- Mist-netting waterfowl
- Net gun
- Transponder insertion.
- Specific species/locality restriction
- Captive/rehabilitation birds