Whanganui volunteer activities
IntroductionOngoing/dates vary: The Whanganui area needs volunteers year round to help with many conservation and recreation projects.
- managing invasive weeds
- helping with pest control
- planting trees
- monitoring birds
- helping a beach clean-up
- potting seedlings, or
- doing small building tasks.
These are social events and are usually suitable for a range of fitness levels and skills. We encourage people of all ages to join us.
These help to restore the biodiversity, and help out ecosystems and wildlife habitat in the Whanganui region.
As well as helping us, you'll also:
- learn about the history of the project area
- gain new skills
- get some exercise
- make new friends, and
- see some of our amazing wildlife.
What to bring
- Water bottle
- Sun hat and raincoat
- Personal medication
- Good footwear. Boots are preferred
- Back pack
- Food for lunch if needed
What we'll provide
- On-site training
- Hand tools
- Drinking water and light refreshments
- First aid kit
- Personal protective equipment as needed such as gloves, hi-vis vest, eyewear
- Field equipment as needed such as bait, traps, map, and GPS
How to apply
State which activity you would like to apply for. Contact us if you have any questions about your application.
For more information about volunteering in Whanganui, contact Community Ranger Katy Newton
Phone: +64 6 349 2100 or +64 27 384 3724