Anyone who wishes to transfer or release plants or animals into freshwater (including to freshwater farms) must obtain authorisation.
DOC approved activities
DOC approves the movement of freshwater species:
- to a location where the species does not already exist
- to a fish farm where the species does not already exist
- to public conservation land
- between islands - you will also need approval from the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI)
- to a reserve or national park.
This includes applications to release grass carp and silver carp to control aquatic weed and algae. See apply to move freshwater species for more information.
MPI approved activities
MPI approves the movement of freshwater species:
- to a location where the species already exists
- between islands - you will also need approval from DOC.
Fish & Game approved activities
Fish & Game approves the movement of:
- fish or fish eggs and other freshwater animals to any lake, river or stream.
In some cases you may need additional authorisations to those above, eg pest species. The agency authorising your activity will advise you if other authorisations are required.
How do I apply?
To apply for: