International protection of species
IntroductionNew Zealand is home to a large variety of species of plants and animals, many of which are unique to New Zealand. Protecting them from threats throughout their ranges requires a global approach.
International forums help protect species here in New Zealand and around the world.
Other forums that DOC is engaged in to protect species include:
- Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission (WCPFC)
- South Pacific Regional Fisheries Management Organisation (SPRFMO)
- Convention on the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (CCAMLR)
- Antarctic Treaty and Environmental Protocol
- United Nations
- East Asian-Australian Flyway Partnership
- The Intergovernmental Platform for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES)