IntroductionLiverpool Track is in the Matukituki Valley, an hour’s drive west from Wanaka. The track starts at Aspiring Hut which you get to on the West Matukituki Track.
The track has steep, rock slab terrain to navigate.
Raspberry Creek car park to Pearl Flat
Time: 3 hr 30 min - 4 hr
Distance: 14 km
Follow the West Matukituki Track from Raspberry Creek car park to Pearl Flat.
Pearl Flat to Liverpool Hut
Time: 2 hr - 2 hr 30 min
Distance: 1 km
From Pearl Flat, cross the swing bridge at Liverpool Stream. The track to Liverpool Hut (1,100 m) is a demanding, steep and often slippery climb to the bushline. The track requires you to pull yourself up using tree roots and navigate rock slabs. The track is recommended for experienced trampers only.
Above the bush the track initially leads across steep exposed shingle, rock and tussock terrain before bearing left up an easier tussock slope to reach a knoll overlookingthe hut. Note: When the hut is first sighted, do not sidle across to the hut below this knoll.
Liverpool Hut Track is in the Matukituki valley, an hour’s drive west from Wanaka.
A tree root section on the track.
- The track requires you to pull yourself up using tree roots and climb up rock slabs. One section is particularly exposed. The track is suitable for experienced trampers only and hiking boots/shoes are essential.
- Tussock and rock can be treacherous and slippery when wet or covered in snow.
- Plan properly and ensure that you follow the outdoor safety code.
- Overnight trampers need a sleeping bag, cooking utensils and sufficient food, warm and waterproof clothing – including gloves and hat. The track is steep and technical. It is recommended you carry only what you need - a lighter pack will make your tramp more enjoyable.
- Good fitness and equipment make all the difference to enjoying your trip, especially as unpredictable weather patterns mean that cold temperatures, snow, strong winds and heavy rain can occur at any time of the year. These valleys aren’t closed in winter, but snow can make travel difficult and dangerous.
Swing bridges: There's a limit to the number people allowed on the swing bridges at any one time – be prepared to wait at each end if numbers allowed have been reached.
Be avalanche alert
This area has terrain that can produce avalanches that cross the track, usually from May into November. View avalanche information and the terrain rating for this track.