Bookings not required - first come, first served
The current Waitewaewae Hut was built in 1991 on the banks of the Otaki River, It was built to replace the original hut, located 2 km upstream.
The original hut was built by the Hutt Valley Tramping Club in 1950. The new hut is located on the site of Whareiti bivvy - the first hut in the area, which was built in 1936.
Before you go, buy 1 Standard Hut Ticket (blue for adults, yellow for youth) for each night's stay. Put this in the honesty box at the hut. Or buy a Backcountry Hut Pass that gives unlimited use at most Standard and Serviced huts for a 6 or 12 month period.
The hut is best accessed from the western side of the Tararua Forest Park via the Otaki Forks entrance.
Ōtaki Forks is 19 km inland from Ōtaki township – approximately 1 hr 30 min drive from Wellington or Palmerston North. The easiest turnoff from SH1 is at Ōtaki Gorge Road, just south of the SH1 bridge over the Ōtaki River. The last 5 km of the Ōtaki Gorge Road is unsealed, narrow and windy – drive carefully.
NZTopo50 map sheet: BP33
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1794459, N5477450