French Ridge Hut
Located in Matukituki Valley area and Mount Aspiring National Park in the Otago region
IntroductionThis is an alpine serviced 20-bunk hut in the Wanaka/Makarora area. This hut is an NZ Alpine Club hut.
- Toilets - non-flush
- Water from tap - not treated, boil before use
This large alpine hut is located just below the snow line and offers amazing views across the Matukituki Valley, and provides a safe haven on route to ascents of Mount Aspiring.
This is a New Zealand Alpine Club hut.
Backcountry Hut Passes and Backcountry Hut Tickets cannot be used at this hut.
- Adult non-members (18+ years): $40
- New Zealand Alpine Club member Adult: $20
- Youth (11–17 years): $10
- Child/Infant (0–10 years): free
Pay at the Tititea/Mount Aspiring National Park Visitor Centre or online through the New Zealand Alpine Club.
Approximate time from nearest road end and hut
- Raspberry Creek car park (Wanaka Mt Aspiring Road) via West Matukituki track to Pearl Flat and French Ridge Track: 6–7 hr 30 min (16.2 km)
- From Aspiring Hut via West Matukituki to Pearl Flat and French Ridge Track: 4–5 hr (7.2 km)
Tracks to this hut
French Ridge TrackLocated in Matukituki Valley area and Mount Aspiring National ParkAfter walking up the valley, a challenging track crosses the Matukituki River and climbs through bush to tussock slopes in the sub-alpine zone.Duration 6 hr - 7 hr 30 min one wayDifficulty Advanced
NZTopo50 map sheet: CA11
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1257248, N5071498
This is a popular hut in summer. We recommend taking a sleeping mat or tent in case no bunks are available.
|Tititea / Mount Aspiring National Park Visitor Centre|
1 Ballantyne Road
PO Box 93
|Full office details|