The new option to walk part of the Milford Track
The Southern Milford-Mackinnon Experience is a shortened version of the Milford Track comprised of a 3 day, 2 night hike. A boat will get you from Te Anau Downs to Glade Wharf and back to start and finish the walk.
The alternative Milford Track route may be more challenging than the usual route, because two of the days will be longer than a usual Great Walks experience. For your own safety, walkers are asked to assess whether the estimated walking times and distances of this walk are still suitable for your level of experience and fitness.
- Day one: Glade Wharf to Clinton Hut, spend the night at Clinton Hut: 1hr 30 mins, 5 km
- Day two: Clinton Hut to Mintaro Hut: 6 hrs. 16.5 km (option to walk to Mackinnon Pass, 3 hrs return)
- Day three: Mintaro Hut to Glade Wharf: 7 hrs, 21 km. You must be at the wharf by 4:30 pm to meet the boat.
The north section of the track, from Mackinnon Pass to Sandfly Point, remains closed to the public and is unsafe to access.
The Southern Milford-Mackinnon Experience is a day shorter than the original Milford Great Walk.
How to cancel a Miford Track booking
Initial bookings on the Milford Great Walk are still being cancelled and refunds are being processed.
If your refund has not yet appeared in your account, you can now fast track this by cancelling your own booking online. Visit online bookings and complete the following:
- Log in to your profile.
- Select Your Account – located just under the DOC logo at the top of the page.
- Select Purchases Transport Bookings. Transport can only be cancelled and refunded one service at a time by selecting service, cancelling and going to shopping cart then repeating.
- Once completed cancel your Huts by Selecting Your Account – Purchases - All Bookings.
- Select your Milford Track booking – you may need to scroll down the page if you have multiple bookings with us.
- Click cancel button.
- Click OK to continue.
- Save and continue – this will take you to the shopping cart.
- The refund will be processed to the credit card used to pay for the booking. It can take 3-5 working days for refunds to appear on your card statement.
- If for any reason you are unable to do this, email email@example.com with your name, booking number and a phone number we can contact you at to manually process your refund.
How to make a Southern Milford-Mackinnon Experience booking
If you have not cancelled and would like to do the Southern Milford-Mackinnon Experience, email firstname.lastname@example.org to re-book your original dates
If you’d like to change your dates, visit online bookings as you will need to cancel your original dates and make a new booking.
If your preferred dates appear unavailable at first, check back regularly, as more availability will open up in future.
Bookings will be on a first-come, first-served basis.