Located in Coromandel Forest Park and Kauaeranga Valley in the Coromandel region
IntroductionThis is a serviced 80-bunk hut in the Coromandel area. The hut must be booked online in advance.
Topographic map warning
Topo50 maps show tracks that have been permanently closed to prevent the spread of kauri dieback disease.
- Toilets - non-flush
- Water from tap - not treated, boil before use
Facilities and services
- Cold shower, solar lighting, BBQ, gas cookers and a solid fuel burner.
- A warden is present at all times.
- Water is limited and not always available.
Check in and out
Check in: 2:30 pm
Check out: 9 am
The kitchen and bunkrooms are closed between 9 am and 2.30 pm. For emergency assistance, try the warden's hut.
- Adult (18 + years): $25 per night
- Child/Youth (5–17 years): $12.50 per night
- Infant (0–4 years): free
Pay at the time of booking.
Hut tickets cannot be used in this hut.
Fees from 1 July 2023
Sunday to Friday:
- Adult (18+ years): $25 per night
- Child/youth (5-17 years): $12.50 per night
- Infant (0-4 years): free
- Adult (18+ years): $30 per night
- Child/youth (5–17 years): $15 per night
- Infant: (0-4 years): free
Backcountry Hut Passes can only be used in this hut from 1 May to 30 September.
Backcountry Hut Passes cannot be used from 1 October to 30 April.
Bookings are open for stays up to 30 June 2023.
Bookings for the 2023/24 season have been delayed. Check here on 14 June 2023 when we will announce the new booking opening dates.
All bookings operate on a first-come first-served basis. We do not operate waiting lists for bookings for future seasons, or currently booked-out facilities.
A $10 service fee applies to phone and in-person booking. This is a limited service – book online first. An in-person booking is dependent on there being space available.
Your hut booking is for any bunk bed, not for a specific bunk bed – select your bunk bed on arrival.
Pinnacles Hut in the upper Kauaeranga Valley is a three hour walk from the roadend.
Tracks to this hut
Kauaeranga Kauri Trail (Pinnacles Walk)Located in Coromandel Forest Park and Kauaeranga ValleyThis popular walk leads to Pinnacles Hut, and on to the summit of the Pinnacles with spectacular views of the Coromandel Peninsula. It can be completed as a day or overnight walk.Duration 3 hr one wayDifficulty Intermediate
Kauaeranga Valley tramping tracksLocated in Coromandel Forest Park and Kauaeranga ValleyFind out about the tramping tracks in the Kauaeranga Valley area.2 alertsDurationDifficulty Advanced
Topo50 map sheet: BB35
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1841123, N5897069
- Bring your own water if doing the day walk (around 2 to 3 litres).
- Bring your own eating and cooking utensils.
|Kauaeranga Visitor Centre|
|Phone:||+64 7 867 9080|
|Fax:||+64 4 471 1117|
995C Kauaeranga Valley Road
PO Box 343
|Full office details|