Anaura Bay Campsite
Located in Anaura Bay area in the East Coast region
IntroductionCamp next to a beautiful beach and alongside a stream. The site is surrounded by forest and coastal bush. You must provide your own chemical toilet at this site.
- Mountain bike
- Dump station
- Non-powered/tent sites
- Water from tap - not treated, boil before use
- Diving and snorkelling
- Walking and tramping
Opens Labour Weekend and closes after Easter.
Can reach full capacity over Christmas and New Year.
Fires are not permitted at any time. See fire rules on conservation land.
Facilities and services
- Toilets are not provided – campers must bring or have access to a chemical toilet.
- Chemical dump stations are provided all season for cassette toliets.
- Rubbish bags are provided over the Christmas/New Year period only. These are collected between 10 am and 10:30 am every second day. Take all rubbish with you otherwise.
- Water is limited. Bring your own.
- Adult (18+ years): $10 per night
- Child (5–17 years): $5 per
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
Pay at the time of booking.
The DOC Campsite Pass can be used at this campsite.
Bookings for the 2023/24 season have been delayed. Check here on 14 June 2023 when we will announce the new booking opening dates.
All bookings operate on a first-come first-served basis. We do not operate waiting lists for bookings for future seasons, or currently booked-out facilities.
Book Anaura Bay Campsite online.
All bookings must be made online. There is no facility for phone or in person bookings.
Your booking will be for your chosen site.
Turn off SH35 onto Anaura Road, about 67 km north of Gisborne. Travel a further 8.7 km down Anaura Road.
Anaura Bay is north of Tolaga Bay and south of Tokomaru Bay.
NZTM2000 coordinates: E2064734, N5754983
Latitude: -38.2330462, Longitude: 178.30831797
Anaura Bay Walkway is located at the northern end of Anaura Bay.
Other walks in the area include:
- Mt Hikurangi Track – 80 km north
- Cooks Cove Walkway – 20 km south
|Kauaeranga Visitor Centre|
|Phone:||+64 7 867 9080|
|Fax:||+64 4 471 1117|
995C Kauaeranga Valley Road
PO Box 343
|Full office details|