Aerial view of Waiopehu Hut
Waiopehu Hut sits on the bushline at 900 m. On clear days, there are good views across the plains and east to the Tararua high peaks.
The first Waiopehu Hut was built by the Levin Waiopehu Tramping Club in 1928. In 1936, a severe storm destroyed the hut so a second hut was built and officially opened on 17 May 1947. In March 2002, DOC acquired 100 ha of private land along Waiopehu Ridge, including much of the track and hut site. On 11 May 2002, a third hut was opened at a new site a little further up the ridge.
The hut is best accessed from Levin on the western side of the Tararua Forest Park. From SH1, head southeast on Queen Street or Tararua Road, then turn on to Gladstone Road. Follow this to the start of the Mangahao Makahika Track on Poads Road. Cross an old concrete bridge and walk uphill to the car park and information boards.
NZTopo50 map sheet: BN33
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1799060, N5488950
Before you go, buy 1 Standard Hut Ticket (blue for adults, yellow for youth) for each night's stay. Put this in the honesty box at the hut. Or buy a Backcountry Hut Pass that gives unlimited use at most Standard and Serviced huts for a 6 or 12-month period.