Totara Flats Hut
Located in Tararua Forest Park in the Wairarapa region
IntroductionThis hut is a great overnight tramp for newer trampers looking to build their experience. The two main routes to this hut are best suited for people who have some experience in backcountry tramping.
- Toilets - non-flush
- Water from tap - not treated, boil before use
Totora Flats Hut sits on river flats above Waiohine River.
- Bunks - platform (shared) bunks with mattresses in two bunkrooms
- Water supply - inside taps with cold water from a rain collection tank
- Heating - wood burner with firewood provided
- Long drop toilet a short walk from the hut
- Sleeping bag
- Cooking stove, pots/pans and utensils
- Toilet paper
- Rubbish bag
- Newspaper/firelighters and matches/lighter for the wood burner/fire
- Adult (18+ years): $15 per night
- Youth (11–17 years): $7.50 per night
- Child/Infant: (0–10 years): free
Before you go, buy 1 Serviced Hut Ticket (green) or 3 Standard Hut Tickets (blue for adults, yellow for youth) for each night's stay. Put these in the honesty box at the hut. Or buy a Backcountry Hut Pass for unlimited use at most Serviced and Standard huts for a 6 or 12 month period.
About hut tickets and passes | Retailers that sell hut tickets and passes
Fees from 1 July 2023
- Adult (18+ years): $25 per night
- Child/youth (5–17 years): $12.50 per night
- Infant (0–4 years): free
Bookings are open for stays up to 30 June 2023.
Bookings for the 2023/24 season have been delayed. Check here on 14 June 2023 when we will announce the new booking opening dates.
All bookings operate on a first-come first-served basis. We do not operate waiting lists for bookings for future seasons, or currently booked-out facilities.
Bookings are required all year.
A $10 service fee applies to phone and in-person booking. This is a limited service – book online first. An in-person booking is dependent on there being space available.
Your hut booking is for any bunk bed, not for a specific bunk bed – select your bunk bed on arrival.
Approximate times from nearest roads and huts
- Mt Holdsworth Road end: 4 hr
- Waiohine Gorge Road end: 4 hr 30 min
- Tutuwai Hut: 5 hr
- Neill Forks Hut: 4 hr
- Sayer Hut: 1 hr
- Cone Hut: 4 hr
Tracks to this hut
Holdsworth - Kaitoke TrackLocated in Holdsworth area and Tararua Forest ParkThis is one of the classic tramps of the Tararua Forest Park. It follows the Waiohine and Tauherenikau rivers between Holdsworth and Kaitoke.1 alertDuration 2-3 daysDifficulty Advanced
NZTopo50 map sheet: BP33
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1802321, N5465946
|Kapiti Wellington Visitor Centre|
|Phone:||+64 4 384 7770|
18 - 32 Manners Street
PO Box 10420
|Full office details|