IntroductionThis is a serviced 20-bunk hut in the Wairarapa region that you can access via the Mt Reeves Track/Centre of New Zealand Walk.
- Toilets - non-flush
- Water from tap - not treated, boil before use
Tutuwai hut sits alongside the Tauherenikau River.
- Bunks – sleeps 20 on platform (shared) bunks with mattresses. Bunks are partially divided from the living/dining area by partition walls.
- Water supply via inside taps that provide cold water from a rain collection tank.
- Heating – wood burner with firewood provided.
- Long drop toilet a short walk from the hut.
- Adult (18+ years): $15 per night
- Youth (11–17 years): $7.50 per night
- Child/Infant: (0–10 years): free
Before you go, buy 1 Serviced Hut Ticket (green) or 3 Standard Hut Tickets (blue for adults, yellow for youth) for each night's stay. Put these in the honesty box at the hut. Or buy a Backcountry Hut Pass for unlimited use at most Serviced and Standard huts for a 6 or 12 month period.
Tutuwai is a popular hut on the Holdsworth - Kaitoke Track and can be reached from either Waiohine or Marchant Roads.
Approximate times from nearest roads and hut
- Marchant Road end: 4 hr 30 min
- Waiohine Valley Road end via Mt Reeves Track/Centre of New Zealand Walk: 4 hr. Public walking access from Waiohine Valley road end to Mt Reeves Track must follow the true right bank of the Waiohine River to bypass the driveway and yarding area of the Stout-owned property. There is currently no legal access from Waiohine Valley road end to the Mt Reeves Track.
- Cone Hut: 1 hr
Tracks to this hut
Holdsworth - Kaitoke TrackLocated in Holdsworth area and Tararua Forest ParkThis is one of the classic tramps of the Tararua Forest Park. It follows the Waiohine and Tauherenikau rivers between Holdsworth and Kaitoke.Duration 2-3 daysDifficulty Advanced
NZTopo50 map sheet: BP33
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1795505, N5457535