IntroductionThis is a 20-bunk hut in the Tauherenikau Valley. The hut can be accessed from either Waiohine Gorge roadend in Wairarapa or Kaitoke/Marchant Roads north of Upper Hutt.
- Toilets - non-flush
- Water from tap - not treated, boil before use
Tutuwai Hut sits alongside the Tauherenikau River.
- Bunks – sleeps 20 on platform (shared) bunks with mattresses. Bunks are partially divided from the living/dining area by partition walls.
- Water supply via inside taps that provide cold water from a rain collection tank.
- Heating – wood burner with firewood provided.
- Long drop toilet a short walk from the hut.
- Adult (18+ years): $25 per night
- Child/youth (5–17 years): $12.50 per night
- Infant (0–4 years): free
Before you go, buy 1 Serviced Hut Ticket (green) or 1 Serviced Youth Hut Tickets (red) for each night's stay. Put these in the honesty box at the hut. Or buy a Backcountry Hut Pass for unlimited use at most Serviced and Standard huts for a 6 or 12 month period.
Tutuwai is a popular hut on the Holdsworth - Kaitoke Track and can be reached from either Waiohine or Marchant Roads.
Approximate times from nearest roads and hut
- Marchant Road end: 4 hr 30 min
- Cone Hut: 1 hr
Be aware access is no longer available from Waiohine Valley Road via Reeves Track.
Tracks to this hut
Holdsworth - Kaitoke TrackLocated in Holdsworth area and Tararua Forest ParkThis is one of the classic tramps of the Tararua Forest Park. It follows the Waiohine and Tauherenikau rivers between Holdsworth and Kaitoke.1 alertDuration 2-3 daysDifficulty Advanced
NZTopo50 map sheet: BP33
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1795505, N5457535