IntroductionCamp beside the Routeburn River. Walk to Lake Sylvan via the bridge or day walk the start of the Routeburn Great Walk. Fly fish in the river.
- Rivers and lakes
- Non-powered/tent sites
- Toilets - non-flush
- Water from tap - not treated, boil before use
- Wheelchair accessible
Fires are not permitted at any time. See fire rules on conservation land.
No water in tank in winter. Bring your own or collect from river.
- Adult (18+ years): $15 per night
- Child (5–17 years): $7.50 per night
- Infant (0–4 years): free
The DOC Campsite Pass can be used at this campsite.
Bookings are required all year. Book well in advance for the peak period from 1 December - 28 February and for public holiday weekends.
From Glenorchy, follow the Glenorchy-Paradise Road. Turn left into Priory Road then right into Kinloch-Routeburn Road.
Gravel road from Dart River bridge.
Grid reference: NZTM2000, E1228654-N5036233
Latitude: -44.73091697, Longitude: 168.3103533
- If you intend to tramp further advance bookings are required for Great Walk huts and campsites.
- Sylvan campsite may flood in heavy rain.
Choosing a safe tent site
For your safety we recommend not camping under the trees at this campsite.