Whatamango Bay Campsite
Located in Queen Charlotte Sound/Tōtaranui area in the Marlborough region
IntroductionCamp beside the beach and go fishing, explore and enjoy the peace only 15-minute drive away from the Picton ferry.
- Non-powered/tent sites
- Toilets - flush
- Water from tap - not treated, boil before use
- Walking and tramping
Fires are not permitted at any time. See fire rules on conservation land.
- Water is from a stream – you may wish to boil, treat or filter before use.
- No rubbish facilities are provided – take all rubbish with you when you leave.
Part of the riverbank is eroded and visitors should not camp close to any taped off areas.
- Adult (18+ years): $10 per night
- Child (5–17 years): $5 per
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
The DOC Campsite Pass can be used at this campsite.
Bookings are open for stays up to 30 June 2023.
Bookings for the 2023/24 season have been delayed. The new opening date will be confirmed 31 May 2023.
All bookings operate on a first-come first-served basis. We do not operate waiting lists for bookings for future seasons, or currently booked-out facilities.
Bookings are required all year.
A $10 service fee applies to phone and in-person booking. This is a limited service – book online first. An in-person booking is dependent on there being space available.
Your booking will be for a site, which will be allocated or selected on arrival.
From Picton head east past Waikawa on Port Underwood Rd for 10 km to Whatamango Bay.
Sealed, narrow, winding road to camp entrance.
NZTM2000 coordinates: E1690087, N5430793
Latitude: -41.27033398, Longitude: 174.07538874
- All groups must include a responsible adult 18+.
- Quiet hours are from 9:30 pm – 6:30 am.
- Music players must be used with headphones or played at a level not audible to neighbouring campsites.
- No chainsaws, generators or compressors allowed.
If you plan to enjoy the water, learn how to stay safe when swimming, boating and fishing.
Fish, walk or go boating from here.
|Whakatū / Nelson Visitor Centre|
|Phone:||+64 3 546 9339|
|Fax:||+64 4 471 1117|
Millers Acre/Taha o te Awa
79 Trafalgar Street
Private Bag 5
|Full office details|