Bookings not required - first come, first served
Dead Dog Hut was built in 1959 by the NZ Forest Service. Its unusual name derives from reports that several dogs owned by deer cullers resident in the hut at that time died from distemper. Situated at 500m altitude the area is relatively sheltered.
The hut has stream water supply and an open fire suitable for cooking.
Before you go, buy 1 Standard Hut Ticket (blue for adults, yellow for youth) for each night's stay. Put this in the honesty box at the hut. Or buy a Backcountry Hut Pass that gives unlimited use at most Standard and Serviced huts for a 6 or 12 month period.
Dead Dog Hut can be accessed from No Man's Road, from a private road through Bill Hill Station. An access permit and key, obtained via a ballot system, is required.
13km up the road is the access track to Dead Dog Hut. The 2 hour (3km) walk descends down to the river and the hut is 300m downstream on the true left.
NZTopo50 map sheet: BK37
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1883197, N5613851