About this campsite
Facilities and services
- Hot showers for campers only
- Wheelchair accessible kitchen, shower and toilet block.
- Communal kitchen with gas stoves. Bring your own chilly bin, BBQ, pots, pans, crockery and cutlery.
- Clothes washer and dryer.
- Public card phone onsite. Mobile phone coverage highly variable.
- Cafe and shop onsite open daily for coffee, homemade pies and baking, ice creams, ice, milk and bread and some camping essentials.
These maps detail specific parts of the campground:
5949 State Highway 6.
The camp office for check-in's is located beside the cafe. Next to the cafe is a short, unsealed, well-formed, narrow road to the campsite.
Where it is from Nelson and Blenheim
On SH6, 54 km from Nelson and 60 km from Blenheim.
NZTM2000 coordinates: E1647698, N5427996
- Adult (18+ years): $20 per night
- Child (5 – 17 years): $10 per night
- Infant (0 – 4 years): free
- From 1 December – 10 February there is a minimum fee per site of two adults.
- Credit/bank card payment is available on-site if you arrive without a prior booking. There would need to be space to accommodate you.
DOC/NZMCA campsite passes cannot be used at this campsite.
Backcountry Hut Passes cannot be used at this campsite.
Bookings are open for stays from 1 July 2020 to 30 November 2020.
Bookings for stays from 1 December 2020 to 30 June 2021 will open on Wednesday 23 September 2020 at 9:30 am (changed from 17 September 2020).
You'll need an account on our booking system for campsites, huts and lodges to make a booking.
Bookings are required all year. Book well in advance for the peak period from 1 December – 28 February and for public holiday weekends. There is a minimum three-night stay from 26 December to 4 January.
Book Pelorus Bridge Campground online.
A $10 service fee applies to phone and in person booking. This is a limited service, and we recommend booking online first if you can. Phone and in person booking is not available within 48 hours of when bookings open for a new season.
You can only make phone and in-person bookings with the Nelson Visitor Centre, phone +64 3 546 8210.
Email bookings are not available for this campsite.
Walking and tramping
Several short walks start from the campsite: Pelorus Bridge Scenic Reserve walking tracks
Know before you go
We aim to provide a traditional New Zealand camping experience. Te ensure you and other campers enjoy your stay, be considerate of others and be aware of the rules below.
- All campers must report to the office on arrival.
- No pets, (cats, dogs, birds).
- Site allocation is at the discretion of the camp managers who will inform you of your site allocation.
- Office hours 8:00 am to 8:00 pm from Labour Weekend to Easter, and to 6:00 pm between Easter and Labour Weekend. If you plan to arrive outside these hours you must contact the office first.
- All groups must include a responsible adult 18 years or over.
- All caravans and campervans that require power must have a current Electrical Warrant of Fitness (WOF) which will be checked on arrival. If your Electrical WOF is not current you won’t be allowed to connect to power.
- No fires, chainsaws, generators or compressors under any circumstance.
- Unacceptable conduct (eg, nudity, violence, excessive noise) and/or behavior deemed to be publicly offensive will result in immediate removal of those concerned with no refund given.
- Music players must be used with headphones or played at a level not audible to the neighbouring campsite.
- The camp is expected to be quiet between 9:30 pm and 6:30 am.
- Vehicles and trailers must not be left on adjoining sites. A $25 fee will be charged if trailers or vehicles need to be removed.
- Day visitors must leave their vehicles in the car park by the café and walk to the campground.
- In periods of heavy rainfall the campsite is prone to flooding and you may be asked to evacuate. A flood warning system is in place.
For general enquiries only, bookings can only be made online or with the Nelson Visitor Centre. Booking through the visitor centre has a $10 fee.
Pelorus Bridge Campground
Phone: +64 3 571 6019