South Ohau Hut
Located in Tararua Forest Park in the Wellington/Kapiti region
IntroductionThis is a standard 10-bunk hut in the Kapiti region.
- Toilets - non-flush
- Water from tap - not treated, boil before use
10 bunk beds
Heating – wood burner
- Adult (18+ years): $5 per night
- Youth (11–17 years): $2.50 per night
- Child/Infant (0–10 years): free
Before you go, buy 1 Standard Hut Ticket (blue for adults, yellow for youth) for each night's stay. Put this in the honesty box at the hut. Or buy a Backcountry Hut Pass that gives unlimited use at most Standard and Serviced huts for a 6 or 12 month period.
About hut tickets and passes | Retailers that sell hut tickets and passes
Fees from 1 July 2023
- Adult (18+ years): $10 per night
- Youth (5–17 years): $5 per night
- Child/Infant (0–4 years): free
- Starting from Levin head east along Tararua Road.
- At the end of Tararua Road, turn right on to Gladstone Road.
- Turn right on to Poads Road after 3 km.
- The trail starts at end of Poads Road. It is approximately 16 km, 8–9 hours, to South Ohau hut.
- The first kilometre of track is across private farmland before the park boundary is reached.
- Once inside the forest park, follow the track along the Ohau River.
- Follow the Gable End – Richards Knob to Ohau track until the signposted left turn to South Ohau Hut.
NZTopo50 map sheet: BN33
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1801854, N5489816
|Kapiti Wellington Visitor Centre|
|Phone:||+64 4 384 7770|
18 - 32 Manners Street
PO Box 10420
|Full office details|