About this lodge
Built as part of the Maximum Security Quarantine station in the 1970s this 4 bedroom brick house is ideal for family or group accommodation. It is in a unique rodent free scientific and historic reserve and has stunning harbour views. Enjoy the walking tracks that lead through the regenerating bush, home to rare native fauna and get up close to the significant historical sites such as the WWII gun emplacements and Maori pa.
- Maximum occupancy is 12 people.
- Bedrooms 2 and 3 include double beds.
- Downstairs room has 2 bunks, and en-suite shower and toilet.
- Pillows and extra blankets are provided.
- Power on the island is supplied by wind turbine and solar panels. Because of the limited power supply do not use electrical appliances such as hairdryers, etc.
- Fully equipped kitchen: gas oven/grill and four burner hob, pots, pans, cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery.
- Shower and bath with solar heated hot water.
What to bring
- Sleeping bag and pillow case.
- Warm clothing − heating is limited to power available.
- Torch − if it has a red filter all the better, so you can take a walk at night.
You can get to Matiu/Somes Island on the scheduled ferry service which runs between Queens Wharf and Days Bay seven days a week, and from Seatoun on Saturday and Sundays.
We highly recommend groups of more than 20 people, and those staying overnight, book a place on the ferry. In severe weather conditions one or both ferries can be cancelled.
If you arrive by private boat or kayak see the Matiu/Somes Island by boat information.
$200 per night. Maximum number of occupants is 12.
Bookings are open for stays from 1 July 2020 to 30 June 2021.
Bookings are required all year.
Book Education House online.
A $10 service fee applies to all phone, email and in-person bookings.
Know before you go
- Leave the house clean and tidy (toilet paper and cleaning materials are provided).
- Take all your rubbish/recycling with you and remove it from the island.
- Check in and out time of the house is midday. Your bags can be stored at other locations if needed at any time.
- Pets are not permitted on Matiu/Somes.
- The island has a complete fire ban. During the dry summer months the island can be closed due to extreme fire risk which may affect your booking.
- Smoking is restricted to the Main Wharf, 10 minutes walk from the house.