You can get to Matiu/Somes Island on the scheduled ferry service which runs between Queens Wharf and Days Bay seven days a week, and from Seatoun on Saturday and Sundays.
We highly recommend groups of more than 20 people, and those staying overnight, book a place on the ferry. In severe weather conditions one or both ferries can be cancelled.
If you arrive by private boat or kayak see the Matiu/Somes Island by boat information.
Know before you go
- You must check your bags for unwanted pests in the Whare Kiore/quarantine building next to the main wharf.
- Pets are not permitted on Matiu/Somes and other harbour islands.
- Do not light fires.
- Smoking is restricted to the main wharf.
- The island may be closed at times of extreme fire danger. If you discover a fire, call 111 and go immediately to the wharf.
- Cycling is not permitted on the island for the safety of all visitors.
Other harbour islands
- No landing at any time on Mokopuna Island Scientific Reserve, a sensitive sea bird breeding area.
- Landing is permitted on the Makaro/Ward Island Scientific Reserve. Pets, fires, and overnight camping are not permitted on the island.