Caretakers Cottage is in a unique rodent free scientific and historic reserve and has stunning harbour views. Fall asleep to the sound of little blue penguins calling around the house and geckos scrambling the walls.
The house is decorated with artwork from the residency project Matiu Somes: The Next Chapter. Art in the house is from Wellington artists Inge Doesburg, Stanley Palmer, Jo Oglier, Lynn Taylor, Basia Smolnicki, Stephen Robinson and Ben Reid.
- Sleeps nine people in three rooms: four single bunk beds in one room, a single and a double bed in one room, and a queen bed in one room.
- Bed linen: sheets are not supplied. Bring your own pillowcase, sheets and blankets or sleeping bag. Mattress protectors and pillows are provided.
- Flush toilet.
- Shower with solar hot water.
- Heat pump during winter (operates on a timer system and available to use from 7am–9am in the morning and 6pm–10pm at night).
- Power is provided by renewable resources, wind turbine and solar panels. We ask users to be considerate with consumption and contact the rangers if you have special requirements. Heating is available when island power production permits.
- Fully equipped kitchen: small fridge, gas four-ring hob and oven, toaster, pots, pans, cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery, solar hot water.
- Outside facilities: A large private flat lawn with a picnic table.
- Water is not suitable for drinking, boil before use.
The fees are per night for up to nine people.
- Weekday: $231 per night
- Weekend (Friday or Saturday night): $278 per night
- Peak (23 December – 16 January): $278 per night
Check back here regularly for updates. A minimum of two weeks’ notice will be given.
A $10 service fee applies to phone and in-person booking. This is a limited service – book online first. An in-person booking is dependent on there being space available.
You can get to Matiu/Somes Island on the scheduled ferry service which runs between Queens Wharf and Days Bay seven days a week. All overnight visitors arriving via East West Ferries need to contact the island ranger 3 days before your trip to advise of your arrive time and number of people overnighting, to the email address in your confirmation letter.
We highly recommend groups of more than 20 people, and those staying overnight, book a place on the ferry. In severe weather conditions one or both ferries can be cancelled.
If you plan to arrive by private boat or kayak, find out about the rules for landing on the island. The latest arrival time for overnighters via private boat or kayak is 3 pm daily. You need to contact the island ranger at least 3 days before your trip to advise of your arrival time.
- Leave the house clean and tidy (toilet paper and cleaning materials are provided).
- Take all your rubbish/recycling with you and remove it from the island.
- Pets are not permitted on Matiu/Somes.
- Cycling is not permitted on the Island for the safety of all visitors. Bikes may be locked at the wharf.
- The island has a complete fire ban. During the dry summer months the island can be closed due to extreme fire risk which may affect your booking.
- Smoking is only permitted at the wharf, 10 minutes walk from the house.
All groups must let the island staff know the arrival time of their ferry so that staff can assist once they land. Also let them know your expected landing time in kayaks.