IntroductionMaketawa Hut is a good overnight tramp for families with children and those new to tramping.
Easy walk from road end
- Toilets - non-flush
- Water from tap - not treated, boil before use
The hut can be busy between Christmas and New Year, public holidays and weekends over summer.
In winter tracks into the hut can be muddy or covered in snow – check with the Egmont National Park Visitor Centre for the latest track conditions.
Maketawa Hut is set in native bush at around 1000 m. It offers views out over north east Taranaki to the mountains of the central plateau, and a glimpse of Mt Taranaki behind the hut.
It’s worth getting up early to see the sunrise over the Taranaki region from the deck.
- Bunks – platform (shared) bunks with mattresses
- Cold running water from a rain collection tank
- Fireplace with wood supplied
- Containment tank toilet a short walk from the hut
- Sleeping bag
- Cooking stove, pots/pans and utensils
- Toilet paper
- Rubbish bag
- Newspaper/firelighters and matches/lighter for the wood burner/fire
- Adult (18+ years): $15 per night
- Youth (11–17 years): $7.50 per night
- Child/Infant: (0–10 years): free
Before you go, buy 1 Serviced Hut Ticket (green) or 3 Standard Hut Tickets (blue for adults, yellow for youth) for each night's stay. Put these in the honesty box at the hut. Or buy a Backcountry Hut Pass for unlimited use at most Serviced and Standard huts for a 6 or 12 month period.
Times from nearest road ends
- Egmont Road end (North Egmont) via Maketawa Track: 1 hr 40 min (3.1 km)
- Egmont Road end (North Egmont) via Translator Road: 1 hr 15 min (3.4 km)
- East Egmont via Curtis Falls Track: 3 hr 35 min (5.9 km)
Tracks to this hut
Maketawa Hut CircuitLocated in Egmont National Park and North Egmont areaThis circuit offers fantastic views of Mt Taranaki from the Maketawa Hut - it can be enjoyed as a half day tramp but is also a good overnight tramp for families with children and new trampers.Duration 3 hr returnDifficulty Advanced
NZTopo50 map sheet: BJ29
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1694631, N5651452