Maketawa Hut is set in native bush at around 1000 m. It offers views out over north east Taranaki to the mountains of the central plateau, and a glimpse of Mt Taranaki behind the hut.
It’s worth getting up early to see the sunrise over the Taranaki region from the deck.
- Bunks - platform (shared) bunks with mattresses
- Water source - cold water from rain collection tank
- Heating - wood burner with coal provided
- Long drop toilet a short walk from the hut
Huts have basic facilities. You'll need to take:
- Sleeping bag
- Cooking stove, pots/pans and utensils
- Toilet paper
- Rubbish bag
- Newspaper/firelighters and matches/lighter for the wood burner/fire
Times from nearest road ends
- Egmont Road end (North Egmont) via Maketawa Track: 1 hr 40 min (3.1 km)
- Egmont Road end (North Egmont) via Translator Road: 1 hr 15 min (3.4 km)
- East Egmont via Curtis Falls Track: 3 hr 35 min (5.9 km)
NZTopo50 map sheet: BJ29
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1694631, N5651452
- Adult (18+ years): $15 per night
- Youth (11 - 17 years): $7.50 per night
- Child/Infant: (0 - 10 years): free
Before you go, buy 1 Serviced Hut Ticket (green for adults, orange for youth) or 3 Standard Hut Tickets (blue for adults, yellow for youth) for each night's stay. Put these in the honesty box at the hut. Or buy a Backcountry Hut Pass for unlimited use at most Serviced and Standard huts for a 6 or 12 month period.
Read more about hut tickets and passes | Find retailers that sell hut tickets