Upper Clutha River Track
Located in Wānaka area in the Otago region
IntroductionWalk or cycle along the banks of the Clutha River near Lake Wānaka.
This track, from Albert Town to Luggate, follows along the river bank offering views of the Clutha’s emerald-green water with the odd trout lurking in its shadows.
Joggers, cyclists and walkers will enjoy shade in summer and shelter from the elements in winter.
You can walk the whole length or sections of the track.
A loop option is possible when combined with the Newcastle Track, located on the true left of the river.
Times and distances from carparks
- Albert Town to Cardrona River 1 hr, 2.5 km
- Cardrona River to Stevensons Road 1 -1 hr 30 min, 5 km
- Stevensons Road to Reko’s Point 1 hr, 4 km
- Reko’s Point to Shortcut Road carpark 1 hr, 4 km
- Shortcut Road carpark to Luggate 45 min, 3 km
The Upper Clutha River is home to a large population of introduced brown and rainbow trout. Both spinning and fly fishing work well, with fly fishing being the most productive method during the warmer months. A current fishing licence from Fish & Game New Zealand is required.
There are several carpark entrance points to begin or finish at: Albert Town, Cardrona River, Stevensons Road, Reko’s Point, Shortcut Road and Luggate.
This is a shared-use track. Follow the mountain bikers code: respect others, respect the rules, respect the track.
Stay safe in the outdoors
- Take the right gear for your trip: Walking and tramping gear lists.
- Tell a trusted person your plans and when to raise the alarm if you haven’t returned. Send them the information directly, or use the Outdoor Intentions form or Plan My Walk.
- Follow the five essential steps of the Land Safety Code.
|Tititea / Mount Aspiring National Park Visitor Centre|
1 Ballantyne Road
PO Box 93
|Full office details|