About this hut
This is one of four DOC Great Walk huts on the Routeburn Track - the Routeburn Flats, Routeburn Falls, Lake Mackenzie and Lake Howden. There are also campsites at Routeburn Flats and Lake Mackenzie.
This hut offers fabulous views over the Route Burn valley and Humboldt Mountains.
Facilities and services
In the Great Walks season:
- 48 bunks with mattresses in a communal sleeping layout.
- Water supply, flushing toilets, wash basins with cold running water (but no showers).
- Heating with fuel available, and solar lighting in the communal kitchen area.
- Cooking facilities with fuel, tables and seating (but no cooking utensils).
- A friendly conservation ranger - they like to chat, they know the area well and can tell you about the environment and weather, or help out should an emergency arise.
Outside the Great Walks season:
- Gas is not provided - you will need to bring your own cooking stove.
- Flush toilets are replaced with pit toilets.
- Running water is turned off inside the huts. Water can be obtained from the outside water tank, if this is frozen, then from the nearest water course or by melting snow.
- There are no conservation rangers based at the huts.
- Beds are on a first come basis only
This is the second hut on the Routeburn Track from the Queenstown end, Mt Aspiring National Park. The hut is about 2.5 – 4 hours walk from the Routeburn Shelter (road end).
NZTopo50 map sheet: CB09
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1219841, N5036327
In the Great Walks season (29 October 2019 – 30 April 2020):
New Zealand citizens and those ordinarily resident in New Zealand*:
- Adult (18+ years): $65 per person, per night
- Child (17 years and under): free but booking still required
- Adult (18+ years): $130 per person, per night
- Child (17 years and under): $130 per person, per night
Outside the Great Walks season (1 May 2020 – 1 November 2020):
Walking the track outside the Great Walk season should only be attempted by fit, experienced and well equipped trampers.
For all visitors:
- Adult (18+ years): $15 per person, per night
- Child (17 years and under): free
* New Zealand rates:
- "Ordinarily resident in New Zealand" means those:
- who hold a residence class, student or work visa; and
- who have lived in New Zealand for six of the previous 12 months; and
- for whom New Zealand is their primary place of established residence.
- Proof of eligibility will be required for the New Zealand rate - see acceptable eligibility proof.