About this campsite
Facilities and services
- Maximum two nights consecutive stay
- Picnic shelter
North of Karamea at the end of Council Rd, and the start of the Heaphy Track. Last 3 km is on gravel road.
NZTM2000 coordinates: E1524647, N5448696
Latitude: -41.10952921, Longitude: 172.10254117
- Adult (18+ years): $8 per night
- Child (5 - 17 years): $4 per night
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
Pay cash on arrival at the self-registration stand at the campsite.
The DOC/NZMCA Campsite Pass can be used at this campsite.
Backcountry Hut Passes cannot be used at this campsite.
Walking and tramping
Kōhaihai area short walks
Know before you go
- Dogs are permitted in the campsite but not in Kahurangi National Park or on the Heaphy Track.
- Sandflies may be present especially in summer so take insect repellent with you.
- It is dangerous to wade or swim at the mouth of the Kohaihai River due to extreme tidal currents and rips.
- The beach at the Kohaihai campsite may be affected by large wave surges during high tides and rough seas.