Marfells Beach Campsite
Located in Marfells Beach area in the Marlborough region
IntroductionCamp within your own touch of paradise next to the sea. Enjoy the stunning wildlife and magnificent scenery.
- Boat launching
- Non-powered/tent sites
- Shower - cold
- Toilets - flush
- Water from tap - not treated, boil before use
- Wheelchair accessible
- Walking and tramping
1 December – 30 April:
- Bookings required. Standard conditions apply.
1 May – 30 November:
- Bookings not required but fees still apply.
Fires are not permitted at any time. See fire rules on conservation land.
- Maximum number of people is 195.
- The campsite has toilets and cold showers.
This campground is pack-in, pack-out. There are no rubbish or recycling facilities for compost or food waste. A container with a sealed lid is recommended for your food scraps.
The closest refuse transfer station is the Seddon Transfer Station, which is located just north of the Seddon township, at the rear of the golf course. Opening hours and other transfer stations can be found on the Marlborough District Council website.
The nearest dump stations are in Blenheim and Kaikoura.
- Adult (18+ years): $10 per night
- Child (5–17 years): $5 per
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
The DOC Campsite Pass can be used at this campsite.
1 December – 30 April
Bookings are required.
Bookings are open for stays from 1 December 2022 to 30 April 2023.
Bookings for the 2023/24 season have been delayed. Check here on 14 June 2023 when we will announce the new booking opening dates.
All bookings operate on a first-come first-served basis. We do not operate waiting lists for bookings for future seasons, or currently booked-out facilities.
The site is split into two booking zones – 1 and 2. Zone 1 sites tend to be longer and narrower and while they are available for anyone to book they are particularly suited to long vehicles (up to 9 m). Zone 2 sites tend to be more square and long vehicles (7–9 m) may not fit.
A $10 service fee applies to phone and in-person booking. This is a limited service – book online first. An in-person booking is dependent on there being space available.
1 May – 30 November
Bookings not required but fees still apply.
On SH1 40 km south of Blenheim, 13 km north of Ward, look out for the blue and yellow roadside signage indicating Marfells Beach Campsite. Follow Marfells Beach Road on the south side of Lake Grassmere for approximately 8 km to the end.
The road is mostly sealed however there is a short section of unsealed road prior to reaching the campsite.
Just before reaching the camp there is a short but steep descent to a bridge. This is passable by long vehicles but care is required.
NZTM2000: E1700179, N5380002
Latitude: -41.72547831, Longitude: 174.20446054
Check-in and check-out during booking season
- Check in from 2 pm.
- Leave the campsite before 11 am – you're welcome to continue using the camp facilities for the rest of the day but must leave your site and move your vehicle.
Boat storage and trailers
- Space is limited. Respect others and keep within the marked sites.
- Boats and trailers may be parked separately – ask camp host for details.
Dogs are not permitted to stay in the campground.
Dogs are allowed on the beach itself, as long as they are on a leash but are not permitted beyond Mussel Point. Marfells Beach to Chancet Rocks is a sensitive biodiversity area with vulnerable birds, lizards and seal habitat.
- All groups must include a responsible adult 18+.
- Be mindful of other campers. Generators should not be used between 9 pm and 7:30 am.
- Be aware of the fishing regulations in this area. See Ministry of Primary Industries website.
Walking and tramping
The Marfells Beach/Camp Campbell Route starts from the campsite. Enjoy a stroll along this stunning section of Clifford Bay coastline or head out to Cape Campbell Lighthouse.
There are good fishing opportunities from the shore and on the water. Take only what you need from the sea and obey all fisheries regulations.
|Whakatū / Nelson Visitor Centre|
|Phone:||+64 3 546 9339|
|Fax:||+64 4 471 1117|
Millers Acre/Taha o te Awa
79 Trafalgar Street
Private Bag 5
|Full office details|