Ikawatea Forks Hut
Located in Ruahine Forest Park in the Hawke’s Bay region
IntroductionThis is a standard seven-bunk hut in the Hawke's Bay region.
- Toilets - non-flush
- Water from tap - not treated, boil before use
Ikawetea Forks Hut was built in 1962 by the New Zealand Forest Service to assist deer culling operations. Members of the Ruahine Deerstalkers Association helped upgrade the hut in 1990.
- Water source - Rainwater tank
- Heating source - open fire
- Adult (18+ years): $5 per night
- Youth (11–17 years): $2.50 per night
- Child/Infant (0–10 years): free
Before you go, buy 1 Standard Hut Ticket (blue for adults, yellow for youth) for each night's stay. Put this in the honesty box at the hut. Or buy a Backcountry Hut Pass that gives unlimited use at most Standard and Serviced huts for a 6 or 12 month period.
About hut tickets and passes | Retailers that sell hut tickets and passes
Fees from 1 July 2023
- Adult (18+ years): $10 per night
- Youth (5–17 years): $5 per night
- Child/Infant (0–4 years): free
Access to this hut is limited, with no tracks linking directly from a public road to the hut. Walking access is typically from the direction of Ruahine Corner Hut.
NZTopo50 map sheet: BK36
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1874592, N5612847
|Te Papaioea / Palmerston North Office|
|Phone:||+64 6 350 9700|
|Fax:||+64 4 471 1117|
28 North Street
Palmerston North 4410
Private Bag 11010
Manawatu Mail Centre
Palmerston North 4442
|Full office details|