IntroductionA standard campsite above the Pohangina River near the Ruahine Forest Park
- Rivers and lakes
- Non-powered/tent sites
- Shower - hot
- Toilets - flush
- Water from tap - not treated, boil before use
Fires are not permitted at any time. See fire rules on conservation land.
Layout of sites
- A large grassy clearing at the back of the grounds, overlooking the Pohangina River and across to the Ruahine Forest Park, provides an ideal spot for pitching your tent. The eastern boundary is a high cliff; caution is required.
- A smaller clearing sheltered by trees south of the Pohangina Base buildings may also be used for camping.
Each campsite caters for up to six people.
Facilities and services
Campsite users will have access to an outdoor tap, a flush toilet and two hot showers in the outer building.
Campsite users are not permitted to use the indoor facilities in the main building (i.e. kitchen, communal living area, and indoor bathroom).
Other on-site accommodation
- Adult (18+ years): $12 per night
- Child (5 - 17 years): $6 per night
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
The DOC Campsite Pass can be used at this campsite.
Campsite Pass bookings must be booked online before occupying a site. If you do not book, bookings may be made by campground staff (if present) and will incur a $10 service charge. Sites may not be available if you do not book.
Check back here regularly for updates. A minimum of two weeks’ notice will be given.
Bookings are required all year.
A $10 service fee applies to phone and in-person booking. This is a limited service – book online first. An in-person booking is dependent on there being space available.
Your booking will be for your chosen site.
Pohangina Base is located on Pohangina Valley East Road, approximately 45 minutes drive from Palmerston North. From Ashhurst, drive north along Pohangina Road, then turn right onto Pohangina Valley East Road. As you pass the Highland Youth Camp on your right, Pohangina Valley East Road veers off to the right. Stay on this road. Pohangina Base is located on the right approximately 1 km past Takapari Road.
NZTM2000 coordinates: E1852270, N5562835
Latitude: -40.04734031, Longitude: 175.95671025
- The facilities are locked, using combination padlocks that can be tricky to operate. You must contact DOC to obtain current codes for locks before your stay, so you will need to allow time for this when planning and booking your visit. If you will be arriving after dark, take a flashlight so you can see the locks.
- There is no mobile reception on site.