Situated between two streams overlooking Overtons Beach, with shelter under mature trees. Surrounded by farmland and bush.
Facilities and services
- Campsite serviced 1 December to end of February.
- Picnic shelter available.
At Harataonga Beach, Great Barrier Island.
From Auckland via passenger and car ferry to Tryphena or Port FitzRoy, or air travel to Claris or Okiwi. Rental cars available for hire from Tryphena and Claris by arrangement.
Access: Narrow gravel roads.
NZTM2000 coordinates: E1823001, N5994150
Latitude: -36.17177561, Longitude: 175.47943218
- Adult (18+ years): $13 per night
- Child (5 - 17 years): $6.50 per night
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
The campsite pass for rental campervans cannot be used at this campsite.
The DOC/NZMCA Campsite Pass can be used at this campsite except between 20 December and the end of Waitangi weekend.
Backcountry Hut Passes cannot be used at this campsite.
- Bookings should preferably be completed online. Phone and email bookings incur a service fee.
- Changes and additions to bookings will incur a fee up to $10 per alteration.
Book Harataonga Campsite online, or contact:
Tāmaki Makaurau / Auckland Visitor Centre
||+64 9 3796476
Co-located with the Auckland i-SITE
Shed 19 Princes Wharf
137 Quay Street
|Full office details
Read the terms and conditions before you book.
- Fishing, diving, snorkelling and swimming at the beach, a 300 m walk from the campsite.
- Explore Maori historic sites and settler graves.
- Endangered bird species: pateke (brown teal), New Zealand dotterel, oyster catcher and banded rail. Do not disturb, and take special care during nesting season.
Know before you go
- No open fires are permitted, bring your own cooker or gas BBQ.
- Vehicle access to beach is not permitted.
- We recommend boiling water before use.
You will be asked to leave if behaving in a disorderly or offensive way (e.g. excessive alcohol, using foul language, noisy or riotous). Drinking in public and the public display of alcohol are not permitted.