Offshore islands of interest
IntroductionDOC manages some of New Zealand's offshore islands and you can visit many of them.
What we look after
DOC is responsible for around 220 larger offshore islands, and hundreds of smaller islands and rock stacks.
Our offshore islands include:
- 21 island groups eg Poor Knights group (Northland), Mercury Islands (east of Coromandel Peninsula), Chetwode Islands (Marlborough Sounds), Auckland Islands (subantarctic islands).
- 11 islands that are partly reserve eg D'Urville Island, Kapiti Island, Great Barrier Island.
- 8 inland freshwater island reserves (eg Mou Tapu and Mou Waho Islands in Lake Wānaka).
42% of our offshore islands are nature reserves because of their outstanding biological values. A permit is required to visit these islands.
Map of offshore islands
More on New Zealand's offshore islands
- New Zealand's subantarctic islands - Antipodes, Auckland, Bounty, Campbell and Snares islands
- Chatham Islands including Mangere and Rangatira islands
- Northland's offshore islands
- Fiordland islands
- Coromandel offshore islands
- Kapiti Island
- Great Barrier Island Aotea
- Poor Knights Islands
- Maud Island
Restoration projects on offshore islands
There are some of islands where you can visit and participate in projects.