What we look after
DOC is responsible for around 220 larger offshore islands, and hundreds of smaller islands and rock stacks.
Our offshore islands include:
- 21 island groups eg Poor Knights group (Northland), Mercury Islands (east of Coromandel Peninsula), Chetwode Islands (Marlborough Sounds), Auckland Islands (subantarctic islands).
- 11 islands that are partly reserve eg D'Urville Island, Kapiti Island, Great Barrier Island.
- 8 inland freshwater island reserves (eg Mou Tapu and Mou Waho Islands in Lake Wānaka).
42% of our offshore islands are nature reserves because of their outstanding biological values. A permit is required to visit these islands.
Map of offshore islands
More on New Zealand's offshore islands
- New Zealand's subantarctic islands - Antipodes, Auckland, Bounty, Campbell and Snares islands
- Chatham Islands including Mangere and Rangatira islands
- Northland's offshore islands
- Fiordland islands
- Coromandel offshore islands
- Kapiti Island
- Great Barrier Island Aotea
- Poor Knights Islands
- Maud Island
Restoration projects on offshore islands
There are some of islands where you can visit and participate in projects.